Refugee Outreach Program
"Migrants are our brothers and sisters in search of a better life, far away from poverty, hunger and war." (Pope Francis)
The Refugee Outreach Program provides practical family support and advocacy for refugees, asylum seekers and new migrant families living in Sydney. Moreover, an important aspect of the program is organization of events to affirm social, spiritual and ethnic identities, and to enhance individual and families’ capacity to function in a pluralist society. To be eligible, recipients must hold temporary protection visas or bridging visas.
Following goods and services are provided through the program:
- Food Bank – free groceries, rice, vegetables, and fruit;
- Financial assistance with electricity, gas and water bills;
- Financial literacy training within the context of emergency relief services;
- Community building and greater interaction through organized social gatherings;
- Multicultural celebration events with exchange of gifts, cross-cultural food and music;
- School readiness event – equipped children with school packs;
- Information sessions and referral on legal issues, mental health concerns, housing and other matters
A personal testimony by a beneficiary
A refugee family of four, residing in Western Sydney were expecting a baby during a serious financial crisis.
The husband and father had lost his job due to COVID-19 and the family was not receiving any Centrelink payments.
The family owed $406.01 on their electricity bill and were expected to pay a rent of $455.00 per week.
The Refugee Outreach Program has been able to regularly supply this family with free rice, groceries, fruit and vegetables, financial assistance with the electricity bill and a new born welcome care pack for the baby.
The father of the family expressed his gratitude to us by saying:
“I will never forget you and the help you have given to my family”.
The program runs every second Wednesday of the month (11 am – 12 noon) at 15 Park Road, Seven Hills, 2147 NSW.
Due to current COVID19 restrictions, only Food Bank services are provided at the above address and during the designated time. All other services are provided online or via telephone.